Hard Disk Drive
Specialty Chemicals and Slurries for Ultra-Smooth Surfaces
For more than 25 years, Saint-Gobain Surface Conditioning has assisted disk drive companies in squeezing data in ever-increasing quantities onto hard disk media with the development of precision abrasive slurries and specialty chemicals for critical surface finishing of disk media, recording heads and wafers.
Through our leadership in abrasive and chemical technology, Saint-Gobain continues to add to its broad spectrum of products for the HDD industry by working with customers to develop products specifically engineered to meet your unique needs.
Engineering Solutions to Your HDD Challenges
At our hard disk grinding and polishing R&D facility in Anaheim, California, Saint-Gobain materials scientists and engineers are perfecting coolants, cleaners and slurries for demanding surface conditioning applications ranging from aluminum disk grinding to glass media polishing.
Our complete line of products for hard disk drive applications includes:
- Heat-treated mono and polycrystalline diamond slurries for slider bar lap
- Thermally treated monocrystalline diamond and polycrystalline diamond slurries for charging eutectic lapping plates (metal alloys such as Sn/Sb and Sn/Bi)
- Patented oil-based non-conductive lubricants for critical final lapping
- Ultra-pure cleaners for all in-process and post-process requirements
- Corrosion inhibitors to provide protection against the oxidation and corrosion of reactive metals such as cobalt, manganese, copper, nickel and iron
- CMP slurries for planarization and polishing of wafer devices and overcoat